Manchester City have agreed to sign protector Ruben Dias from Benfica for €68 million or more additional items, the Portuguese club have declared.
Benfica likewise said that City safeguard Nicolas Otamendi will go the other route in a different exchange for €15m.
- Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Play English Soccer Pick Them with ESPN
– Dawson: Man City guard uncovered by Leicester
Benfica affirmed the exchanges in an announcement on Sunday however said the players would in any case need to sign their particular agreements.
• Sources: Utd to battle until end for Sancho
• Man City concur €68m bargain for Benfica’s Dias
• Lampard: Kepa still has future at Chelsea
• Granada compromise own supporters over tweet
• Ancelotti: Coleman like Ramos, Maldini
• Mainz sack administrator after players’ strike
Sources told ESPN on Sunday that the Dias move was unavoidable after City would not follow through on the approaching cost for Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Atletico Madrid’s Jose Gimenez.
Dias, 23, has made 137 appearances during a four-year spell with Benfica, winning the class title in 2018- 19.
He has won 19 tops for Portugal and was important for the side that lifted the UEFA Nations League trophy a year ago.
His appearance will help shore up a cracked City protection which sent five objectives to Leicester City at home on Sunday.
Dias will be City’s fifth marking of the mid year, following the appearances of Pablo Moreno, Ferran Torres, Nathan Ake and Scott Carson.
Otamendi, 32, won two Premier League titles, four League Cups and a FA Cup during his five-year spell at the Etihad.